Re: problems with the concept of unstable -> testing

Didier Raboud wrote:
> Romain Beauxis wrote:
>> You can't get both recent *and* stabilized software. For a solid release
>> to be done, one needs to hold new improvements for a while.
>
> Yes. But there is a bunch of non-DD people that strongly want to use Debian
> and prefer the recent software over the stabilized one.

These are called 'users of unstable' or 'users of testing'.

>                                                         With the new
> laptops coming out every two weeks, having the latest kernel, Xorg or hal
> is no caprice, it's needed…

I think that the three existing flavours of debian already provide more
than is needed to offer comfort for both users with stability needs and
users with desire for new software.

At the times of a freeze, I guess the available resources would be
better spent on trying to keep that time as short as possible, instead
of having to explain to users that there is one more section that they
could use in their sources.list.

Just one example: IMHO it might be better to speed up the testing and
fixing of bugs in the present kernel versions, instead of adding one
more kernel version to the archives, that will have to be tested and
fixed as well.

I don't imply here that the kernel team or anyone else is doing a bad
job. I just feel that if there is anything to improve it would be more
efficient to just speed up existing work flows instead of _adding_ to
the existing ones.

> That's not a problem from Debian stable users, who need a "stable before
> all" release. But for the FLOSS community and the geeky users, I guess that
> it is in fact a problem.

It would be great, if the remaining RC bugs were solved faster so that
lenny could be released sooner, allowing newer versions in squeeze
faster, allowing earlier testing of newer software, speeding up the
release of squeeze, leading....

> With a less jungle experimental which you could trust as the unfrozen
> unstable or with a constantly unfrozen unstable, this would not be an
> issue.

With a faster fixing of RC bugs and a faster release, all this would not
be an issue.

Cheers,

Johannes

- -- speaking as a user, who believes that debian's way is close to
perfect for _both_ stability and new software.

Thanks to all for their great work!