Re: renaming scripts provided by upstream

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org> writes:

> liblocale-maketext-lexicon-perl ships a `xgettext.pl' which I would like
> to see installed in /usr/bin (#508505).  In this case there is a small
> additional problem: just omitting the extension does not work because
> `xgettext' is already provided by gettext.  It was suggested to rename
> `xgettext.pl' to something completely different (e.g. xgettext-lexicon
> or xmaketext), but as I said earlier I think it is not a good idea to
> rename programs only in Debian if it can be avoided.

If that xgettext is really just a Perl version xgettext (in other words,
that it's written in Perl is really its primary distinguishing factor),
then I think this is one of those exceptions that are why Policy says
"should" instead of "must".  I'd still rather see it called xgettext-perl
instead of xgettext.pl, but at that point it's really just an aesthetic
preference, which may not warrant diverging from upstream.