Re: Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:12:04 +0100
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le jeudi 11 décembre 2008 à 11:46 +0100, Tim Dijkstra a écrit :
> > It still works, some people still use it... so I do not see any need
> > to remove it now. If the time comes to remove gtk+1.2, digitaldj can
> > go too IYAM. I'm not using it anymore, and certainly do not have the
> > time to port it.
>
> As this reaction is quite common, maybe I should make things more
> clear.
>
>     * Yes, GTK+ 1.2 is going away before the squeeze release. *
>
> If everyone says “I’m going to remove my pet package when it is the
> last one”, it is obvious that we are never going to remove it.

Can we, therefore, just say that unless maintainers remove the package
themselves after the Lenny release, all reverse dependencies of gtk1.2
and gtk1.2 itself will be removed from Debian during the month before
the expected announcement of the Squeeze toolchain freeze? i.e. at the
earliest stage of the Squeeze release process. (No delays would be
accepted for this removal either, it would be unavoidable and no
complaints would be entertained, no matter what.) I'm happy to help get
rid of gtk1.2.

--

Neil Williams