Re: NEW processing

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:
> [Michael Tautschnig]

>> Instead, currently, they get distracted by many easy-to-spot errors
>> (including lintian warnings/errors, which really doesn't require one
>> to be an ftp-master to see...).

> This issue could be solved by automatically rejecting all packages with
> a lintian error when it show up in NEW.  This way the prospective
> maintainer get an immediate feedback and a motivation to fix the
> problems.  As the ftpmasters check the lintian override file, the quick
> and dirty way to get rid of lintian errors and warnings will not work.
>
> Anyone know why this isn't done already?

We've been working towards this.  Lintian now supports taking a specific
list of tags that it should look for and only reporting those tags
specifically so that ftp-master can create a restricted set of errors that
they really care about and enforce those without picking up whatever we
thought was a good idea to put into Lintian.  The intention is for that
set to be very conservative and to be subject to additional sanity
checking outside of just the Lintian maintenance team, and to only pick up
new tags after they've been around for a while and proven to not have
significant false-positive problems.