Re: SmellyWerewolf.com perfume & make-up discount

2008/11/23 Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:35:10PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe I'm missing something. Which parts of the original email, specifically,
>> > were sexist or objectifying of women?
>>
>> Are you serious in this? I thought we had already overcome that, but
>> if you really mean it and it's not just trolling, we can start
>> explaining it all again from the beginning, maybe it's needed after
>> all.
>
> Yes, very serious, and not trolling.
>
> Please quote from the original email explaining to me how it is sexist.

Sexism defines the ideology of male supremacy, of male superiority and
of beliefs that support and sustain it.  Sexism and patriarchy
mutually reinforce one another
http://www.ruralwomyn.net/define.html#sexism

A social relationship in which males have authority over females.
www.personal.utulsa.edu/~lara-foley/definitions.htm

Sexism: An ideology that assumes a hierarchy of human worth based on
the social construction of gender difference Sexism was developed to
claim superiority of men over women, based on the idea that "natural"
gender norms are a fixed and immutable reality.
http://www.publiceye.org/glossary/glossary_big.html#s

Sexism describes discrimination against someone on the grounds of their gender.
http://www.equality-ne.co.uk/resources/glossary.html?letter=S

Androcentrism – Male centeredness, which is the value set of our
dominant culture based on male norms.  Any account which characterizes
aspects of women's lives as deviant is androcentric.
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~lara-foley/definitions.htm

androcentrism: An ideological focus on males and men, and issues
affecting them, possibly to the detriment of non-males.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/androcentrism

Apart from the fact that d-d-a is not a list for making stupid jokes,
here you find:
- The use of the word "chick" in reference to females. Chick is a
slightly derogatory, condescending common usage (slang) expression for
a young woman. I know that there's an open discussion on this, in any
case it refers to a hot or cute female.
- The only mention women get in the text is thus through a sexual
objetification.
- It is obviously openly ignoring the existence of females in the
mailing list, stating "male" as the norm there. Androcentrism.

Sorry but Debian is not a men's club and we're not their "chicks".

Greetings,
Miry