Re: DFSG violations: non-free but no contrib

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 03:33:49PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> For the sake of 10 binary firmwares, you want to make whole Debian
> depend upon non-free ? Wow, what an achievement.
>
> No, please, we don't accept regressions as a solution.

So if any of the hardware that requires non-free firmware to operate and
currently works in etch was to not work with Lenny, then that's
completely unacceptable?

If that's the case, then there is no way EVER to make Debian comply with
the DFSG since you aren't going to get free firmware for all those
devices.

Maintaining support for most of that hardware through the use of
non-free can be done.  Maintaining support for all that hardware through
only main is imposible and unrealistic.  So a demand of no regressions
is just insane.  Debian shouldn't ever have worked with that hardware in
the first place in the case of main only installs.

--
Len SOrensen