Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

Am 2008-10-29 22:52:52, schrieb Thomas Bushnell BSG:
> > I am sure, my enterprise is  not  the  only  one  wondering  about  such
> > requirement to let users modify firmware of sensibel hardware which  CAN
> > destuct the whole computer since they have to leafe out  some  stuff  to
> > get it into the small memories...
>
> How is this a reason not to provide source code?

Manufacturerers can be sued...

You get the hell if you for example modify the firmware uf a  GSM  modem
and you disturb the GSM communication...

It is NOT the Software distributor, but the Hardware Manufacturer  which
run into touble.  I must certify my Hardware to be used in GSM networks.

The if you modify the Firmware of my "24V DC Modular ATX PSU"  which  is
connectedt to 24V Batteries and a SolarCharger and now  you  change  the
Reference vomtage from 24V (Gel batteries) to 25,9V (Li-Poly batteries),

You can burn your computer and after this, there is NO preuv, it was  my
Firmware or your modified one.

So now as a Manufacturer I have the choice between

1)  Use a huge NV/FLASH/EEPROM Memory which make the Hardware maybe
    10-20 Euro more expensive and I will lost customers.

2)  Use huge external SRAM (makes the Hardware expensive too) to let
    users load there own non tested and non-optimised blob and become
    sued if something goes wrong.

So, the Open-Source System does not realy work on Hardware...

> I don't understand why this matters to you.  Provide the source code;
> Debian ships it, and nobody is hurt.  If nobody ever makes use of it,
> how has it harmed you?

The sourcecode is the blob.  I can reload it into my Develoment suit and
edit it, but thats all.  This SDKs use highly optimized builders/compilr
and there is NO OpenSource solution for it.  Increasing FLASH/SRAM  only
because someone maybe want to burn its  hardware  or  damage  others  is
braindamaged since they are NO waraties something will work correctly...

The problem is, IF someone (e.g. Hobby frickler) do something wrong, I
can be f...ed.

I do not know HOW OpenMoko  do  this,  but  the  certification  for  GSM
software/firmware IS expensive and it IS required by law.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)