Re: Free OS versus free hw

Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Since the Social Contract promises Debian *won't* ship non-free
> > things, that's not an option compatible with the promises made by
> > the Debian project.
>
>  I might not have said it clearly enough:
>  - I agree the current DFSG and social contract imply we need to
>  provide sources for these firmware if they are shipped in Debian
>  - in turn, this implies that I'm suggesting we might need to reword
>  parts of them to reduce the perimeter of Debian to something
>  achievable which we still love and aim for

Thanks for making it clear.

I disagree completely with that suggestion. I agree with the current
promise that all of Debian (that is, the operating system in whole and
all its parts) must be free.

--
 \       “Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right |
  `\   there, in the room talking to you, which is why I don't like to |