Re: DFSG-violations and NEW and DFSG-violations and I would fix them, but...

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:44:33AM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Every kernel upload changing the ABI goes through NEW.

> The typical situation here is that code that has the same set of DFSG
> bugs is already in place and so it is questionable of what a reject
> really achieves (i.e. does the archive become more DFSG-compliant or
> not) and quite typically fixes some RC bugs (not always trashing
> people's hardware).

This does not seem to be a position universally held by the ftp team, given
that a library I uploaded to binary NEW ths summer for a
release-team-approved transition was rejected over a source-only issue of
not mentioning in debian/copyright a pre-existing user guide not shipped in
any of the binary packages.  Or is it only kernel DFSG-compliance bugs that
get ignored in binary NEW, while all the other nitpicky checks are grounds
for a package reject?