Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:26 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:22:25PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > > I don't think that's a particularly constructive approach to take,
> > > especially not in a volunteer project.
> > I think that it is singularly non-constructive to see the maintainers of
> > packages regard compliance with our foundational documents as wishlist
> > items, and the release team regard such things as anything other than
> > show-stoppers.
> No, really.  The kernel team are volunteers.  Ordering them to do things
> doesn't help at all; one could equally well send the same message to
> everyone working on Debian (or, indeed, the wider community) since they
> could also step up to the plate and help fix this issue.

Actually, I've done the last part of the work to remove firmware (mostly
adapting patches written by others).  The remaining problems are (a) a
very few drivers don't have redistributable firmware (b) most of the
other patches have not been properly tested, at least not with the
Debian kernel.