Re: [RFC] How should rsyslog handle .0 logfiles from sysklogd

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:57:54 +0200, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
wrote:
>2.) Try to log rotate the .0 files for the default Debian log files in
>postinst. I feel a bit uneasy about this approach, for several reasons:
>- It adds fairly reasonable complexity to the maintainer scripts, if you
> want to consider all corner cases.
>E.g. if you switch from syslog-ng to rsyslog, it is very likely that you
>have old .0 files lying around (from a sysklogd->syslog-ng switch), so
>syslog.1 would be older than syslog.2 which would be very confusing.

Just check the timestamps of syslog.0 and rotate it to syslog.1 iff
its timestamps are in between syslog and the former syslog.1. If they
are not, throw a warning and leave.

Greetings
Marc