Re: [RFC] How should rsyslog handle .0 logfiles from sysklogd

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 12:01:57 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,19.Sep.08, 23:57:54, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Afaics I have the following options.
> > 1.) Do nothing and simply document this fact in README.Debian, telling
> > the admin that he can safely delete this files if he no longer needs them.
>
> I would have rather suggested NEWS.Debian if apt-listchanges was higher
> priority. Anyway, this should also be documented in the release notes.
>
> After reading this I went on cleaning my /var/log/ and found some recent
> .0 files (I switched to rsyslog in July):
>
> $ ls -la /var/log/*.0
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  51123 2008-09-19 22:09 /var/log/dmesg.0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46714 2008-09-13 06:25 /var/log/popularity-contest.0

Those two are not obsolete, as they are being rotated by savelog,
either by a cronjob or a boot script, the same applies for other .0
log files. So this would have to be documented as well to avoid users
removing valid files.

regards,
guillem