Re: RFC: update-rc.d <script> disable|reenable

Kel Modderman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This email describes an extension of update-rc.d to provide an interface
> for disabling and reenabling initscript sysvinit runlevel start links.
>
> It contains a patch that is the last in a series[0] of patches submitted to
> the sysvinit team. After speaking with Petter Reinholdtsen on irc he suggested
> sending the idea to a wider audience for review and discusion.
>
> Another proposed update-rc.d extension[1] is worth a mention too, though it is
> not described in detail by this communication. It is a proposal for a method
> providing an interface for maintainer scripts to facilitate change of runlevel
> scheme on package upgrades.
>
> Please have a comment and identify what you think is good and crap.
>
> [0] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-sysvinit-devel/2008-September/002861.html
> [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-sysvinit-devel/2008-September/002865.html

Imho long overdue, thanks for taking a look at this!

I haven't looked at [1] yet, but what happens, if you update a disabled
init script, will it update the K symlinks too, so when you (re)enable
the service, that it has the correct priority?

Example:
# update-rc.d foo defaults
/etc/rc[2345].d/S20foo
/etc/rc[016].d/K20foo

# update-rc.d foo disable
/etc/rc[2345].d/K80foo
/etc/rc[016].d/K20foo

# update-rc.d foo from defaults to start 30 2 3 4 5 . stop 70 1 .
/etc/rc[2345].d/K70foo
/etc/rc1.d/K70foo

Would it work like this? Would it also work together with insserv?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?