Re: nut package freeze exception request (dependency based boot)

On 9/17/08, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
>  There's an "ups-monitor" virtual package defined in Policy, and
>  apparently all packages providing it ship /etc/init.d/ups-monitor, and
>  searching on the net one can find various bits of documentation
>  referring to that file.

>  If nobody is, my take is that this nut upload is gratuitously breaking a
>  traditional interface, and I don't think that should be done just to
>  please insserv. Looks to me like insserv should be fixed instead...
>  (CC'ing maintainer as well.)

I have checked for other packages, e.g. exim is providing virtual
package "mail-transport-agent", but I see no "mail-transport-agent"
symlink in /etc/init.d. Same for my "apache2" providing "httpd"
virtual package and again no symlink in /etc/init.d.

I wonder if anybody provides virtual package symlink in /etc/init.d
and have already found solution for insserv? Looks like most packages
have no such symlink and thus no problems with insserv. Do we really
need it?

If we need virtual package scripts in init.d than I see now to options:

1) Use a script instead of symlink with different lsb headers (this
means rework of all packages using symlink)

2) Changhe insserv to not count symlinks at all (do not know about
possible affects about it)

Both look like unproper changes to go into lenny.

--
Anton Martchukov
http://www.martchukov.com