Re: 1 of 400 dpkg databases corrupt?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 02:07:48 +0200
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> Indeed. This would also rule out a temporary bug in popcon (in that
> case, it would have been a peak which would subside over time).
> Instead, my guess is that there are corner-case situations in which
> popcon tries to read the dpkg database at a time when it is in a
> state of flux; and that because of that, popcon doesn't get all the
> existing data, only part of it.
>
> Of the top of my head, I can think of two possible examples where this
> might be the case:

[snip]

> - Another possibility might be a group of people having popcon and
>   something like cron-apt installed at the same time; if both cronjobs

That would include me (only apticron and popcon) :-)

>   trigger at approximately the same time, that would greatly increase
>   the chance that popcon is indeed trying to read the dpkg database at
>   the time when cron-apt is rewriting it.

I just use the defaults for apticron and popcon.  If that is a problem
or popcon frequently happens during system updates, or while checking
for updates (e.g for those who use update-notifier, which doesn't
include me) then this could happen fairly often.  Perhaps popcon needs
to check if the database is in use, just like any other apt consumer?
A wishlist or minor bug to this effect, perhaps?

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore