Re: newer sub package zaps main package instead of waiting

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 05:02:49AM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org was heard to say:
> Say, often a developer upgrades a group of related packages, but they
> don't hit the mirrors at the same time. This causes apt-get
> dselect-upgrade and dist-upgrade to remove the older parts instead of
> holding back for the newer parts. One must use apt-get upgrade for the
> many days the condition persists.

  This sort of situation was the motivation for a change to the
behavior of the "upgrade" command in aptitude.  Unlike apt-get,
aptitude will install new packages in "safe-upgrade" (formerly
"upgrade"); it just refuses to remove any packages to resolve
dependencies.  (it will still remove automatically installed packages
if nothing uses them)  Since new packages were the main reason I used
full-upgrade, I've found that I can carry on (in unstable, no less)
safe-upgrading for weeks at a time before I need to run a full-upgrade
to sort out some tricky dependency problem.

  Daniel