edos, mancoosi - Was: Re: trying to overwrite ..., which is also in package ...

Le mercredi 06 août 2008 à 11:47 +0200, Vincent Danjean a écrit :
> Olivier Berger wrote:
> > Le mercredi 06 août 2008 à 08:14 +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org a écrit :
> >> Say, couldn't there be some automatic checks so we users don't encounter
> >> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> >> ERR: trying to overwrite `some file, which is also in package other_package
> >>

> > Did you check :
> > http://edos.debian.net/missing-conflicts/ ?
> >
> > It is supposed to do exactly what you're requesting, IMHO.
>
> Looking at the description (http://edos.debian.net/missing-conflicts/doc.html)
> I'm not sure weather these tests take into account upgrades.
>    I mean that, most of the times I see this bug, it comes from a file that
> is moved from package oldA to package newB when a new version is published.
> Maintainer correctly sets 'Conflicts' (so, for example, oldA cannot be installed
> together with newB) but forgot to sets 'Replaces'. So, upgrading from
> (oldA, oldB) to (newA, newB) can trigger the bug (depending on the order of
> unpacking chosen by apt/dpkg).
>    Checking this kind of bugs would need the analyze of two distributions
> contents at the same time and upgrade tests.
>
>    So, just for my information, does edos do that ?

I think it's the purpose of what's coming out of the mancoosi project
(http://www.mancoosi.org/) which follows edos, IIRC.

More details for instance in : http://www.mancoosi.org/deliverables/, or (in french) in :
http://www.systematic-paris-region.org/fr/UserFiles/File/GT%20LL/EdosToMancoosi.pdf

But there are members of EDOS/Mancoosi much more qualified, which read
us, I guess.

Hope this helps,

--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>