Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:44:12PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, the boot/shutdown system in Debian do not
> need stop symlinks to kill daemons, as init.d/sendsigs do the same job
> quicker and better, and thus consider all packages doing it to be
> wasting resources.  I would recommend severity normal, as this issue
> is just wasting resources, not breaking functionality.

This is definitely *not* true for a number of services - giving your
database server 5 seconds to flush all its state to disk before it's hard
terminated is not ok.  So I hope you aren't really encouraging people to
file bugs on *all* packages that have [06] shutdown scripts, without
consideration for whether these daemons need to save state...