Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

[Steve Langasek]
> This is definitely *not* true for a number of services - giving your
> database server 5 seconds to flush all its state to disk before it's
> hard terminated is not ok.  So I hope you aren't really encouraging
> people to file bugs on *all* packages that have [06] shutdown
> scripts, without consideration for whether these daemons need to
> save state...

Nope, I am definitely not doing that. :) Only those that are happy
with a single SIGTERM during shutdown.

Also, note that sendsigs now (since Lenny) will wait for up to 10
seconds for processes to die after the SIGTERM before sending SIGKILL.
The period can be extended if it proves to be too short, but in most
cases I have seen, processes have died within 2-3 seconds.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen