Re: Should the X packages pre-depend on awk?

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 01:32:48PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Santiago, please see
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg01028.html> for an
> > explanation of why I've reassigned this bug; I think awk has been
> > accidentally left outside the Essential set in a subtle way that has gone
> > largely unnoticed, probably because no one uses awk in their preinst
> > scripts. :)

> Thanks a lot for the explanation.

> My only fear is: Will debootstrap manage gracefully a base-files
> package having a pre-depends: awk?

Looking at the package relationships, I can't see any reason that it
wouldn't.  But I wouldn't swear on this before someone tests it.  (I think
unstable is an ok place to test this. :-)

> If yes, would the fix for this (a pre-depends: awk) be allowed in lenny?

Unless overridden by the release managers, I would give this a freeze
exception, yes.

Cheers,