Re: FHS and /var/www

Carl Fürstenberg schrieb:
> FHS 2.3 specifies in
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
> to use /srv for "Data for services provided by this system", for
> example /srv/www for web root.
> In the policy, the section
> 9.1.1(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.1.1)
> specifies that FHS 2.3 is mandatory, except for some exception, and
> the use of /var/www isn't included in that list.
>
> Should we force all httpd:s to use /srv/www instead of /var/www, or
> should an exception to the policy be added? Per
> http://wiki.debian.org/Apache2LennyGoals it states that apache2 has
> support for /srv/www, but it's still defaulting to /var/www.

Hello,

I fully agree with you, but there are some problems.

1) lintian states that packagers should add a regular httpd config file
which should work on most http-daemons - this is in my opinion garbage
and not user friendly.

2) lintian also states (yes against lintian) that the packagers
shouldn't point symlinks or anything like that in / from
/var/www/<package> but they should add instructions (in README.Debian)
for the administator how he could set up his web application, this is
also not very user friendly..

Yes the FHS says, that such data has to be places in /srv/ so what have
we to do? We should NOT go the user unfriendly way and place at every
webapp-package some README.Debian files, we should migrate after lenny
from /var/www to /srv/www - I think it will solve the issue with less
user problems.

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: patrick.matthaei@web.de

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,
we were maybe wrong.