Re: Good communication with upstream is good idea

2008/7/20 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:
> * Osamu Aoki:
>
>> I found some of my packages are offered as a part of Ubuntu archive.
>
> Same here.  In my case (debsecan), it's a bit irresponsible because the
> package doesn't really work on Ubuntu--but it's not readily apparent to
> potential users.  Furthermore, it uses server resources provided to
> Debian, and not to Ubuntu.
>
> What's the correct way to get it out of Unbuntu (universe)?  I don't
> want to relicense it, but if asking politely does not work, it seems to
> be my only choice.

Packages are automatically synced from Debian as part of the
development process, if a package doesn't want to be in Ubuntu then as
far as I know there needs to be a manual override set up.

Relicensing your software to stop other people redistributing seems
like overkill to be honest, and no doubt would cause your package to
break the Debian Free Software Guidelines. You can't release under a
free license and keep 100% control over redistribution!

Caroline