Re: Debian release versioning

Am Sonntag 13 Juli 2008 schrieb Frans Pop:
> Also, I really dislike the "use .5 for -and-a-half releases" in the
> original proposal. For one thing you cannot exclude the risk that 5
> point releases would be needed for one reason or another before an
> +1/2 release. And it also makes it impossible to distinguish between
> the "regular point update" part of such a release and the "+1/2"
> part.

Agreed. 1/2 could also mean "1 of 2", and .5 name the fifth subversion.
Decimal systems are very modern, while time is still counting in a
duodecimal manner (12 are a dozen, 60 are a schock:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Schock)

The same way, we could call pre-releases "5 [minutes] to Lenny".

Of course, I like the creativeness of leaving the limits of integers
(Reminding me to Platform 9 3/4 in Harry Potter). After 3.0 and 3.1 -
has there ever been a PI-Version of Debian BTW? ;)

Just my 2 cent of smalltalk in this thread.
Thanks
Ralf