Re: Debian release versioning

la, 2008-07-12 kello 18:09 +0200, martin f krafft kirjoitti:
> So lenny will be Debian 5.0. Many people have questioned this
> choice, given how we onconsistently went ...-2.0-2.1-2.2-3.0-3.1-4.0
> in the last decade, but it's the RM's choice and not to be debated.
>
> What is to be debated is how to move on from here.
>
> I propose that we get rid of our r-releases and simply let the first
> stable update to lenny be 5.1, followed by 5.2, and so on.

If I remember correctly, we adopted the rX way of versioning to appease
CD-ROM vendors: they did not like us releasing X.Y+1 as a stable update
since that meant their X.Y boxes looked out of date, even though the
boxes were perfectly fine, and could easily be updated to X.Y+1 via the
net.

Do we still care about that?