Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 01:46 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> You mean the specification that is followed mostly in the breech by actual
> implementations and to which KDE at least has a whole ton of extensions?

I think the XDG standard is actually *based* on the Desktop Entry spec
from KDE1/KDE2, but this is only based on vague memories of
writing .desktop/.icon files back in 1999-2003.

So, it doesn't surprise me that KDE implements more than the spec. But I
haven't used KDE3 much, so I don't know if it's still the way it was
last time I touched KDE, which was in the Debian 2.2/3.0 days...

Or maybe the Desktop Entry spec is based on the minimal ground seen
between both KDE and GNOME, in which case, it's sad that it hasn't
improved since that point...

William