Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> You mean the specification that is followed mostly in the breech by
> actual implementations and to which KDE at least has a whole ton of
> extensions?

Or in the breach, even.  Although in the breech does sum up my opinion on
parts of it.  :)

Some examples:

(and that doesn't include the ones that aren't listed in the standard but
that Lintian has just given up on because they're so widespread, like

(and that doesn't count Application and GNUstep, which are also invalid
but which I just gave up on since they're used all over the place)

And that's just the stuff that Lintian happens to check for.  I shudder to
think what the results would be if Lintian started doing a complete syntax
check against the standard, looking for things like ending list
attributes with a semicolon the way they're required to be.

Not to mention that, as standards go, the XDG menu and desktop standard is
a rather poor one.  It's not very well-written, it's not very clear, it's
huge (tons of different keys with different meanings, sometimes
cryptically explained), and the menu category list in particular is
horribly scattershot and confusing.