Re: Converting to source format "3.0 (quilt)" (was: Misc developer news (#9))

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008, Ben Finney wrote:
> [Followup on debian-devel, instead of debian-devel-announce. Raphael,
> did you intentionally set Mail-Followup-To to debian-devel-announce or
> was that an oversight?]

Well, mutt adds it automatically as I have it configured to recognize all
debian-* as mailing lists.

I added now a "unlists debian-devel-announce" that will hopefully solve
this for next time.

> >  To prepare a future switch to the "3.0 (quilt)" source package format, I
> >  tried to convert the whole archive and to rebuild the packages
> >  afterwards.
>
> What does this mean; what is it that you did? I don't quite know how
> you "convert the whole archive" automatically to this new format,
> unless you mean that packages which didn't use quilt are simply using
> an empty patch set.

The operation corresponds to (with dpkg-dev 1.14.20):
apt-get source <pkg>
dpkg-source --format="3.0 (quilt)" -b <pkg>-*
dpkg-source -x <pkg>_*.dsc
cd <pkg>-* && debuild

Yes, it means that packages not using quilt and without upstream changes
in the .diff.gz have an empty quilt series.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog