Converting to source format "3.0 (quilt)" (was: Misc developer news (#9))

[Followup on debian-devel, instead of debian-devel-announce. Raphael,
did you intentionally set Mail-Followup-To to debian-devel-announce or
was that an oversight?]

> Advice on quilt usage and compatibility with new source format

Thanks very much for this work and the resulting guidelines. It is
good to have information on using and transitioning to this new
format.

>  To prepare a future switch to the "3.0 (quilt)" source package format, I
>  tried to convert the whole archive and to rebuild the packages
>  afterwards.

What does this mean; what is it that you did? I don't quite know how
you "convert the whole archive" automatically to this new format,
unless you mean that packages which didn't use quilt are simply using
an empty patch set.

>  This resulted in lots of improvements on dpkg-source as I adapted
>  the code to make it support many of the existing build setups

Good result, thanks.

>  To ensure compatibility with the new source format, please try to
>  follow the guidelines below.

Thanks again for writing these.

--
 \      “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “Yes Brain, but |
  `\    if our knees bent the other way, how would we ride a bicycle?” |