Re: Arch-dependent Depends

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I've found no similar text for run-time relationships.
> >
> > Should the policy be updated on this?
>
> It probably should if all of the software or at least most (plus all of
> the package installation software) supports them properly.  Does it?

No. The only support that dpkg has is that those arch-limitations are used
by dpkg-gencontrol to keep/drop the dependency while generating the
DEBIAN/control. This means that it can only be used on Arch: any package
and it means that such dependency that appears in a real .deb will not be
parsed correctly by dpkg itself.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog