Re: Arch-dependent Depends

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:26:21AM +0200, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> What is the problem with arch-specific dependencies in control? I've
> used them just fine (in wine, see libwine-dev) for a while, no apparent
> problems. I think they do only work for arch:any packages, though, as
> they seem to be parsed at build-time by dpkg-gencontrol or something.

Interesting.

The problem with them is that policy does not allow them :-) Well, to be
precise, policy mentions that build-time relationships in debian/control
can be restricted to a certain set of architectures; it does not state
anything similar for run-time relationships. Hence I, as I guess most of
us, concluded that they are not allowed for run-time relationships.

Here is a quote from Policy 7.1:

  All fields that specify build-time relationships (`Build-Depends',
  `Build-Depends-Indep', `Build-Conflicts' and `Build-Conflicts-Indep')
  may be restricted to a certain set of architectures.  This is
  indicated in brackets after each individual package name and the
  optional version specification.  The brackets enclose a list of ...
  <snip>

I've found no similar text for run-time relationships.

Should the policy be updated on this?

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the