Re: esound [was: Re: Non-related 'Recommends' dependencies - bug or not?]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:44:23 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Last time I checked, libesd-alsa0 was still completely unusable (well,
> except for some weird kind of sound-based torture).

I regularly help users to find out why their sound has stopped working,
and the cause is usually due to libesd0's esd holding the sound card
open. Replacing libesd0 with libesd-alsa0 and killing esd makes
everything work again.

libesd-alsa0 works perfectly for me and I wish we installed it by
default. We would then be able to enable the 'enable software sound
mixing (ESD)' setting by default so that event sounds in apps like gossip
would work.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078