Re: Time to phase out net-tools?

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:04, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> wrote:

> With wrapper scripts, are you only talking about the interface to set
> stuff or would you also want to mimick the existing output? Because I
> think the output from commands like ifconfig and route is so old and
> well-known that people rely on it both in scripts and just in mental
> parsing.

Both, I know that many people had written stuff on top of that output
and interface.

> net-tools doesn't suffer any showstoppers, is there a good reason to
> replace it at this time? iproute is indeed much better, but it is not even
> part of a standard Debian install currently. Maybe that's something that
> we should start with if we want to migrate towards iproute.

It's not something to be done in a day. But I think that given the
amount of bug net-tools has, and the fact that it can't do much of the
cool stuff provided by 2.4+ kernels, it's time for its retirement. And
yes, iproute should become priority important.

--
Martín Ferrari