Re: Handling of removed packages

Hi,

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:

> Wolf Wiegand <wolf@kondancemilch.de> writes:
> > Maybe it should be mandatory to always have a transition package for
> > packages which are being removed from the archives? For example, when
> > package X_0.1 is to be removed from the archive, there has to be a
> > transition to a package X-obsoleted_0.1 (which is in fact the same as
> > X_0.1).
>
> That would force us to keep the packages in the next release.

True, I hadn't thought about that. Maybe this could be done in point
releases to the stable distribution, and by adding a note to the release
notes for the stable -> new-stable upgrade that all point releases
should be installed prior to upgrading to the new stable release. But I
don't really like this idea as well.

Cheers,

Wolf

--
Büroschimpfwort des Tages: Systemapokalyptiker - IT-Mitarbeiter, der gern
behauptet, das neue System fahre "gegen die Wand" oder treibe die Firma in die