Re: Handling of removed packages

Hello,
Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt schrieb:
> For some time now, I have been thinking about the problem of packages
> which are removed from the archive at some point, without an (enforced)
> transition to a new package name. Users of such packages keep them
> around, usually never noticing the fact that no security (or other)
> support is available anymore.

I have somewhat of a deja-vù here with that thread. When I remember correctly
just about the beginning of this year there was a discussion about how to
find/remove/manage obsolete packages either here on -devel or on -mentors. The
aptitude-way Frans pointed out was mentioned there too (maybe by Frans, I can't
recall). So the solution then was "the user must check aptitudes obsolete
category". And for me that is enough, though a automatic notification by
aptitude, when a package is added to that category would be nice.

Kind regards,
Kai

P.S.: This e-mail is just a "reminder", that this was already discussed, but I
have right now no time to search the archives. But eventually it helps to avoid
reiterating all pros and cons.

--

Kai Wasserbäch (Kai Wasserbaech)

E-Mail: debian@carbon-project.org
Jabber (debianforum.de): Drizzt
GnuPG: 0xE1DE59D2      0600 96CE F3C8 E733 E5B6 1587 A309 D76C E1DE 59D2
(http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xE1DE59D2&fingerprint=on&hash=on&op=vindex)