Re: Mouse configuration during installation needs improvement

Quoting Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au):
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
>
> > Given most people don't use the console ever
>
> Where is your data for this assertion?

Probably too wide generalization by Lennart.

My own assertion was that people who use the console *on an enough
regular basis* (ie to do real work) are clever enough to figure out
that using the mouse in the console needs installing gpm.

I think that this assertion is true. Of course, I have nothing to
prove it except common sense (I was about to joke and say that the
people mentioned above are Joey Schulze....:-))

> > installing a service that is only for console use by default is
> > simply wrong. The less services need to be enabled by default the
> > better.
>
> This argument would also see the removal of 'login', since that's not
> needed by your putative majority of people who don't log in over
> text-only interfaces.

...which would mean dropping the possibility of having a basic login
in virtual consoles. Of course, noone will ever think that.

The point I bringed in that discussion is that virtual consoles are
essentially a fallback for the vast majority of users. And one could
assume that a mouse is not strictly needed for a fallback.

> This argument fails for the same reason: just because *few* people use
> it is not sufficient reason to drop it from the install. If you don't
> want 'gpm' installed, you need a different argument.

What we want to bring is that having only few people needing it makes
a good reason to not install it by default (and have it ask questions
to users, indeed).