Re: Mouse configuration during installation needs improvement

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:16:28AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Where is your data for this assertion?

The number of people that have no idea how to get to the console from X.

Personally I hate dealing with machines that don't have gpm installed,
but I don't want to bloat the base install either.

> This argument would also see the removal of 'login', since that's not
> needed by your putative majority of people who don't log in over
> text-only interfaces.

The default system does not have X.  Not having login prevents you from
working.  Not having gpm is at worst slightly inconvinient.

> This argument fails for the same reason: just because *few* people use
> it is not sufficient reason to drop it from the install. If you don't
> want 'gpm' installed, you need a different argument.

Don't install stuff that is non essential.  gpm certainly is not
essential, so don't install it.  login is essential, so do install it.

--
Len Sorensen