Re: How to handle Debian patches

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Sat, May 17, 2008 at 02:37:31PM +0200]:
> If I understand things correctly (but I'm really not sure I do), 3.0
> (quilt) won't really help with that: it won't prevent maintainers to
> directly modify files outside of debian/ , and generate a huge
> debian/patches/debian-changes-version.diff.
>
> It seems to me that what we need to do is decide that using dpatch or
> quilt is the way to go (with properly commenting individual patches).
> It's a social problem, not a technical one.

But with some time put to it, we can end up including a "the
maintainer shuold not modify files outside of the debian/ directory
without a strong rationale", and provide lintian checks for packages
still directly modifying upstream code...

It can become a long transition, but a good one in the end, /methinks.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23