Re: How to handle Debian patches

On 16/05/08 at 17:54 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> In the general case, I do believe that the new source package format "3.0
> (quilt)" will help as all Debian specific changes will always end up in
> debian/patches/.

If I understand things correctly (but I'm really not sure I do), 3.0
(quilt) won't really help with that: it won't prevent maintainers to
directly modify files outside of debian/ , and generate a huge
debian/patches/debian-changes-version.diff.

It seems to me that what we need to do is decide that using dpatch or
quilt is the way to go (with properly commenting individual patches).
It's a social problem, not a technical one.

> Once we switched to this source format, it should be trivial to create
> patches.debian.org. [2]

Should we wait for the switch to the new source format to create
patches.debian.org? It sounds like a better idea to write it in a way
that makes it work with both format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt). Maybe work from
the extract source...

Also, the code behind http://patches.ubuntu.com/ is GPLed, AFAIK. We
might not have to reinvent everything.