Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sat, May 17, 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> What if we just decide that changes made to upstream sources[1] qualify
> as a bug? A change might be a bug in upstream, or in the debianisation,
> or in Debian for requiring the change. But just call it a bug.

 The bug tracker is a tool for me; not everything needs to go via bug
 tracking.  If I grab an upstream change from their VCS, I wont open a
 Debian bug about it; if I find a bug in the Debian version which also
 applies to upstream, I might skip to directly reporting it upstream,
 and only there.

 A change is a change, not a bug; we don't need to map each change to a
 bug.  We could get better at distinguishing between changes, and
 perhaps we can reach a point where we can extract a list of logical
 changes (or changesets) between Debian uploads, or between the Debian
 and upstream versions, but I don't think we want bugs for that.

--
Loïc Minier