Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 03:25:11PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> In fact, despite being one of the big quilt advocates in the last round of
> this discussion, I am at this point pretty much sold on using Git due to
> its merges and branch support and have started to switch my packages over.
> However, the one thing discussed on this thread is still the thing I don't
> know how to do easily in Git.  I have each logical change on its own
> branch, so I can trivially generate patches to feed to upstream with git
> diff upstream..bug/foo, but I don't know how to maintain a detailed
> description and status other than keeping a separate file with that
> information somewhere independent of the branch, or some special file
> included in the branch.

How often is a logical change more than just a single commit?
Espeically in the context of packaging, usually the changes are pretty
trivial, and don't require multiple patches.

Sure, a few bugs may require some new infrastructure, or making
changes that would be best done with 2-3 patches, but any more than
that and you probably want to be consulting with upstream before
submit any changes anyway?

So normally I just keep those sorts of changes in the commit header,
where it is easily and safely bundled with each patch.

      	    	       	      	      	   	- Ted