Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:25:11 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>> But don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to using VCS for package
>> maintainance (I do it!), I just think that we haven't found the
>> perfect workflow yet.

> In fact, despite being one of the big quilt advocates in the last
> round of this discussion, I am at this point pretty much sold on using
> Git due to its merges and branch support and have started to switch my
> packages over.  However, the one thing discussed on this thread is
> still the thing I don't know how to do easily in Git.  I have each
> logical change on its own branch, so I can trivially generate patches
> to feed to upstream with git diff upstream..bug/foo, but I don't know
> how to maintain a detailed description and status other than keeping a
> separate file with that information somewhere independent of the
> branch, or some special file included in the branch.

        My solution is to git rebase -i the submit branch, and make sure
 that the first commit has a full commentary on the patch series to
 follow. Then

 for submit_branch in .git/refs/heads/submit--*; do
   branch=$(basename $submit_branch)
   test -d debian/topics/$branch/ || mkdir -p debian/topics/$branch
   git format-patch -p --src-prefix=old --dst-prefix=new -n -k -s   \
       --thread --ignore-if-in-upstream --cover-letter              \
          -o debian/topics/$branch/  master..$branch
 done

        I am not yet sure I like the --cover-letter bit, though.

        manoj
--
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-) Larry
Wall in <10502@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>