Re: NMU rules for security fixes (was: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads)

On 26/04/08 at 20:22 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 02:07, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
> > > I'd prefer the security team did not delay fixes at all by default.
> > > Exceptions for specific maintainers, transitions or other reasons
> > > are fine too of course.
> >
> > For stable and testing, I agree. However, for unstable and
> > experimental the maintainer should be at least given a chance to
> > resolve the issue. [That is to say, I object to filing a bug and
> > immediately NMUing for unstable; in almost all cases the bug should be
> > a few days old before that happens.]
>
> I agree with that. The cases where the available "patch" for a security issue
> was insufficient or broke other things are not quite rare. The maintainer of
> a package is the first one responsible for it and should be given the
> opportunity to comment on the patch and/or apply it himself. At least a few
> days, and of course depending on the impact of the bug: no need to rush in
> patches for low impact bugs.

I don't think that developers-reference is the good place to list
all the special cases. In the DEP, we include some example delays:
| While there are no general rules, it's recommended to upload to the
| DELAYED queue with a delay of at least a few days. Here are some
| examples that you could use as default values:
| # Upload fixing only release-critical bugs older than 7 days: 2 days
| # Upload fixing only release-critical and important bugs: 5 days
| # Other NMUs: 10 days

Those are example delays, not mandatory ones. If the uploader thinks
that he has a good reason to wait less time, he can still wait less
time.

I've added this sentence after the above examples to clarify this: