Re: [OT] Need old Packages.gz and Release Files

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> Thomas Weber dijo [Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:25:04AM +0200]:
>> >  j> By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
>> >  j> week of Diffs.
[...]
> Diffs are often quite small. The time needed to establish a connection
> is often comparable to the time a diff takes to be downloaded... So,
> even with pipelining and all, storing too many diffs becomes
> irrelevant.

That is only true if you trying to optimize for time, instead of minimal
download volume. And I doubt that 7 days is the sweet spot, Packages.gz is
huge:

ametzler@merkel:/org/ftp.root/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386$ du -sh /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.diff/
6,7M    /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
344K    /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.diff/

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'