Re: [OT] Need old Packages.gz and Release Files

Thomas Weber dijo [Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:25:04AM +0200]:
> >  j> By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
> >  j> week of Diffs. It seems every time I get back from a trip, I end up
> >  j> uploading the whole Packages.gz file again. Two weeks worth would be
> >  j> better.
> >
> > ...for you.
> >
> > Think about two-week trips, three-week trips, month-long vacations,
> > three-months-long vacations, round-the-world trips... Won't this result
> > in keeping whole year of diffs?
>
> No, you can the take the combined size of all diffs as an upper bound.
> If it becomes larger than the current Packages.gz file, it's time to
> drop older diffs.

Diffs are often quite small. The time needed to establish a connection
is often comparable to the time a diff takes to be downloaded... So,
even with pipelining and all, storing too many diffs becomes
irrelevant.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23