Re: Handling bugs properly

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> What is an ordinary bug submitter's recourse when a bug report is
> closed without resolution?

Reopen the bug once with more information, then if it's closed again
without resolution, contact -devel or similar if they're convinced
that it's a bug which should be resolved, with possible escalation to
the CTTE if the maintainer isn't convinced. Ideally though,[1]
maintainers shouldn't be closing bugs without explanations.

> The response sent to the poster is that a reasonable response must
> have been received (or a paraphrase); what happens then the response
> is missing?

That's a problem with closing bugs using the close command to
control@; there's no resolution present in the message, and it's why
close is deprecated, and why it'll probably go away in the
not-to-distant future. [It still doesn't stop you from using -done
without any content, but at least that gives you some pressure to
provide content.]

Don Armstrong

1: And admitedly, I've closed some bugs with what quite possibly were
far to terse explanations since the reason why they were invalid was
obvious to me...
Junkies were all knitted together in a loose global macrame, the
intercontinental freemasonry of narcotics.
 -- Bruce Sterling, _Holy Fire_ p257