Re: triggers wishlist

Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: triggers wishlist"):
> On mer, 2008-04-02 at 21:07 -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> > How expensive is running gtk-update-ican-cache? I mean, it would be easy
> > enough to have a script run
> > that runs "gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/$subdir" for each of the
> > subdirectories. Then the /usr/share/icons
> > trigger would just run that script.
>
> It takes a few seconds for a big icon theme on a fast machine, but as it
> must read all icons in the directories, it can easily turn out slower.

Would a timestamp check help ?  You can have several triggers of
course but the triggers system is not designed to have very many of
them.  If you expect to have a dozen icons subdirs eventually then a
trigger for each one would be overkill.

Also, if you have only one trigger you can know that dpkg won't call
your postinst for triggers more than once unnecessaarily.

Ian.