Re: A suggestion

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:03:51AM +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> _you_ may want more up to date packages, but a lot of people are
> entirely happy with etch on their desktop. For example, both me and my
> mother.
>
> I'd also go as far to say that most corporate Linux desktops, to pick
> another example, would welcome the lack of change for 18 months.

Given how much uproar there is about Microsoft's desire to retire
Windows XP while many people would rather stick with it that go to
Vista, perhaps the idea that everyone wants the latest and greatest is
no longer true.

> Many people don't want breakage. Linux hobbiests may want the constant
> latest version, and they can cope with testing (or, often, run ubuntu or
> gentoo for that reason), but most computer users would rather things
> _didn't_ change regularly, and those people are also our target
> audience.

I run unstable on my home machines, and stable on my work machines.  At
work I am trying to get things done, not play with my software.  At home
is different.  I don't need to spend 4 hours figuring out why X no
longer works after an upgrade at work.  At home I don't mind (although
unstable rarely breaks stuff).

--
Len Sorensen