Re: A suggestion

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 15:16 +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 00:38:36 -0300
> Joel Franco <joel.franco@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that the testing or above releases may be suitable for the
> > desktop of a EXPERT linux user. I need a stable release because my
> > desktop must simply to work; it is not a so critical system like a
> > server but this is critical to my business go on.
>
> >From my experience, testing is perfectly suitable for a desktop/development
> system.

Humm...

> "testing is perfectly suitable for a development system"

Yes, we agree.

> "testing is perfectly suitable for a desktop systems"

If you mean "perfectly suitable for desktop of end users", I totally disagree.

New Critical/Grave/Serious bugs are fount in DebianTesting every day,
see RC bugs ! That's the purpose of Testing !

It would be interesting to compare how many serious+ bugs were opened
in stable and testing over a year (since comparing currently opened bugs
isn't meaningful. Reliability is computed over elapsed time).

- A true end-user should not be assumed to be able to resume from
  those bugs.
- A true end-user wants to spend its time *using* it's system,
  not fixing it.
Having the latest Firefox, OpenOffice, etc isn't so important to true
end-user. Having a Firefox and OpenOffice that never crash and has no
serious bugs IS important to true end users.

> The main difference between a desktop and a server is that usually on a
> server you can't afford any downtime,

I agree.

> while on a desktop system you can screw up and reinstall every once in a while if needed...

True end-users should never, ever have to reinstall their system because
something went wrong. (Ask your sister or ask any random woman, ask any
random guy, ask your dog how he felt when he last had to reinstall he's
system[1] ;).

Franklin

[1] Remember, end users don't make backup ;) BTW, couldn't we install a
backup solution, with a GUI, in Desktop task ? with monthly reminder, of
course ;)