Re: Adding lzma to dpkg's Pre-Depends

On 01/04/08 at 23:49 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:42:32PM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> > On the more general issue of lzma-compresses packages, I find a 34MB
> > RAM requirement quite hefty for general purpose use; that is, unless
> > we restrict lzma compression to packages that wouldn't make sense on
> > hardware with so little RAM anyway (such as e.g. OpenOffice.org, but
> > nothing in base, nothing one would install on a pure router /
> > lightweight server such as iptables, kernels, FTP/HTTP daemons, ...).
>
> lzma compression has to be explicitly enabled on a per-package basis.
> Ideally, it's only going to be enabled on those packages where it makes the
> most sense to do so - i.e., precisely those packages that get the greatest
> absolute size savings by using the different compression method.
>
> OOo is a great example of a package that benefits.  Here is the analysis
> that was done based on Ubuntu 7.10 to evaluate the benefits of lzma,
> including a list of the top ten binary packages by size savings:
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/dpkg-lzma
>
> So of course besides OOo on there we also find the kernel packages.  We
> wouldn't have to use lzma for the kernels though, if that would raise the
> minimum memory requirements for servers, or lzma could be selectively
> enabled on a per-flavor or per-arch basis as appropriate.

The results are a bit misleading, because they compare the absolute
gain. Sorting by relative gain, I get:
libgl1-mesa-dri_7.0.1-1ubuntu3_i386.deb	78% saved
docbook-xml_4.5-4_all.deb 75% saved
ttf-arabeyes_1.1-9_all.deb 68% saved
foomatic-db-hpijs_20070813-0ubuntu1_all.deb 66% saved
libvte9_0.16.9-0ubuntu3_i386.deb 65% saved
ttf-gentium_1.02-2ubuntu2_all.deb 64% saved
smbclient_3.0.26a-1ubuntu2_i386.deb 64% saved
etc.