Re: RFC: preventing accidental deletion of system directories

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 05:12:50AM -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
> Hi,
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 22:16 +1300, Francois Marier wrote:
> > Basically, the wrapper (see attached file) has a blacklist which
> > contains
> > directories like /usr/lib, /home, /etc and removes those before
> > passing its
> > arguments to the real 'rm' command.
> While I'm sorry for you having to reinstall your system, I think that
> having such a wrapper as a default feature in Debian is absolutely
> ludicrous and should be avoided at all costs.

> Maybe asking "Are you sure you want to do this", but outright refusing
> to do something seems quite ridiculous to me.
Of course, knowing that I do such things on occasion, I have aliased
'rm' to 'rm -i', so it will ask unless I pass '-f' along.

> Also, what you would do is dpkg-divert /bin/rm, and then
> call /bin/rm.coreutils or whatever.
This is only reasonable if it won't break things like 'make uninstall'
or other scripts that expect that rm will be well behaved and do what it
is told.

Roberto C. Sánchez